Ring in 2016 with Iowa Public Radio’s Iowa Arts Showcase! Our January edition features:
· Mitra Sadeghpour and Korey Barret revealing details about UNI Opera Theater’s production of Carlisle Floyd’s Susannah
· Daniel Kleinknecht, delving into the Cedar Rapid’s Opera Theater’s January production of Verdi’s La Traviata
· The Des Moines Metro Opera collaborating with the Des Moines Art Center on a performance of a staged multimedia production of Schubert’s Winterreise
· UNI’s piano faculty members Sean Botkin and Dmitri Vorobiev discussing repertoire for their joint recital coming up in January, plus this summer’s Midwest International Piano Competition
· World-renowned pianist Andreas Klein collaborating with the Minguet Quartett for the Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center's Artist Series
Mitra Sadeghpour and Korey Barret, associate professors of opera and vocal coaching at UNI, will share details about the UNI Opera Theater’s performance of Floyd’s Susannah. Susannah tells the story of a well-mannered young woman in New Hope Valley, Tennessee whose beauty causes unrest in the conservative church community. The UNI Opera Theater’s performance with the Northern Iowa Symphony Orchestra under Dr. Rebecca Burkhardt will take place on January 22nd and 23rd at the Great Hall of Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center.
The Cedar Rapids Opera Theater’s artistic director, conductor and founder, Daniel Kleinknecht, delves into their January presentation of Verdi’s La Traviata. Performances will take place on January 15th and 17th at the Paramount Theater in Cedar Rapids. This Italian opera classic tells a tragic tale of a beautiful courtesan, Violetta, and her one true love, Alfredo. The production features soprano Danielle Talamantes performing as Violetta and tenor Jason Slayden as Alfredo.
The Des Moines Metro Opera is collaborating with the Des Moines Art Center on an unusual performance of Schubert’s Winterreise, a song cycle of 24 poems by Wilhelm Müller. The unique presentation will feature a staged multimedia production of Schubert’s “Winter Journey” with baritone David Adam Moore and DMMO’s Music Director David Neely at the keyboard. The images and staging are created by GLMMR designer Vita Tzykun.
UNI’s piano faculty members Sean Botkin and Dmitri Vorobiev are presenting a joint recital on January 26, 2016 at the Great Hall of the Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. Sean and Dmitri fill us in on the music they’re presenting plus details about UNI’s Midwest International Piano Competition being held in June.
World-renowned pianist Andreas Klein will be collaborating with the Minguet Quartett, widely regarded as one of Europe's finest quartets. He discusses the repertoire chosen for the concert. Klein's imaginative musical interpretation at the piano will be presented at their performance on February 5th at 7:30 PM in the Great Hall of the Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center.