As summer winds down, Iowa’s arts scene is gearing up for another year of unforgettable performances. The September Iowa Arts Showcase outlines:
- The Des Moines Symphony Orchestra’s 2014-15 season, with Maestro Joseph Giunta
- The Iowa Composers Forum’s Fall Festival Concert on October 4, with ICF President and Luther College Resident Composer Brooke Joyce
- The Quad City Symphony Orchestra’s 100th Anniversary Season, with executive director Ben Loeb
- UNI’s William and Stephanie Clohesy Documentary Film Series, with acclaimed director and guest Lucy Walker
- Hancher Auditorium’s 2014-15 season, with executive director Chuck Swanson
Maestro Joseph Giunta, music director and conductor of the Des Moines Symphony Orchestra, showcases their line-up for the 2014-15 season. With four world-class guest soloists, guest conductor Jorge Mester, and a collaboration with the Simpson College Choir & Chamber Singers and the Des Moines Vocal Arts Ensemble, this year’s Des Moines Symphony season promises to be memorable.
Iowa Composers Forum President and Luther College Composer-in-Residence Brooke Joyce outlines the exciting program for their annual Fall Festival Concert, taking place on October 4. The concert features new compositions from a wide variety of composers, and will include several world premieres.
Ben Loeb, executive director of the Quad City Symphony Orchestra, reveals the amazing line-up for the symphony’s centennial season. The orchestra will premiere five new works, in addition to hosting several internationally-acclaimed guest artists. The 100th Season Celebration Concert on May 14 features world-renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma performing Dvorák’s Cello Concerto in b minor.
UNI’s William and Stephanie Clohesy Documentary Film Series brings Academy Award nominated director and distinguished documentary filmmaker Lucy Walker to campus this fall. Lucy shares a bit of history behind her amazing career and her Academy Award nominated films.
And Chuck Swanson, executive director of Hancher, gives us the scoop on the wide variety of performances in the 2014-15 season. Their line-up includes the Iowa Soul Festival, the chamber music of Brahms, a jazz quintet, string quartets, plays and musicals, ballets, and much more.