Mast Brothers' Red Wine Bonbons
THE MAST BROTHERS' RED WINE BONBONS
A full-bodied red wine works best here, as it won't be overpowered by the dark chocolate. Try a Criollo-heavy chocolate with notes of dark fruit, like Madagascar.
- Heavy cream, 1/2 cup
- Dark chocolate, 6 ounces, chopped
- Red wine, 2 ounces (just over 1/3 cup)
- Unsalted butter, 1 tabled spoon
- Dark chocolate, 8 ounces, melted and tempered
Make the Ganache
1. Bring cream to a boil in a saucepan.
2. Pour cream over chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
3. Let it sit and melt for 1 minute.
4. Stir with a spatula in tight circles from the center outward.
5. Slowly add red wine, stirring constantly to retain emulsification.
6. Let mixture cool to 108 degrees Fahrenheit. Test with an instant-read thermometer.
7. Add butter and stir until combined.
8. Shape ganache into marble-size spheres by rolling between your hands.
Coat the Bonbons
9. Using a dome-shaped confection mold, create shell of bonbons by pouring tempered chocolate into domes, covering them completely.
10. Turn mold upside down, pouring excess chocolate into bowl, leaving an even coating on domes.
11. Refrigerate about 15 minutes to set.
12. Once set, add ganache, leaving room at top to coat.
13. Cool mold in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
14. Pour tempered chocolate over mold.
15. With spatula, spread evenly over mold, scraping away excess chocolate.
16. Let sit in fridge until bonbons pull away from mold, about 15 minutes.
17. Carefully tap mold on hard surface, allowing bonbons to release.